When roasting vegetables, we like to leave the skin on. Just give them a quick wash and roughly chop them. Break the garlic into cloves, also leaving the skin on. We use organic chicken, which is typically leaner and we leave the skin on. Leave all the skin on.
We prefer dark meat, but this recipe can be used for whole chicken, thigh, or breast. By preheating the oven at 475°F and lowering it to 400°F, it provides a nice crispy skin leaving the meat tender and juicy. This recipe takes under 10 minutes to prepare. Pop the chicken in the oven and have dinner ready in under an hour. Try this easy roast chicken recipe tonight.
- 1.5 kg organic chicken (whole, thighs or breast)
- Aromatics: carrots, celery, onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch herbs: fresh thyme, rosemary, bay or sage, or a mixture
- Take your chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before it goes into the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 475°F. There’s no need to peel the vegetables – just give them a wash and roughly chop them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, rubbing it all over the bird. Carefully prick the lemon all over, using the tip of a sharp knife
- To cook your chicken, place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting tray and put it into the preheated oven. Turn the heat down immediately to 400°F and cook the chicken for 55 – 65 minutes.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the vegetables look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them burning.
- Rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tinfoil and a tea towel and put aside.