Do you eat a balanced diet, exercise and take an assortment of supplements but still experience fatigue, indigestion, dry skin, brittle nails, and/or insomnia? According to University of Texas, 50% of people taking supplements are still nutritionally deficient.
Vitamin, mineral and antioxidant deficiencies have been shown to suppress the functions of the immune system which can manifest to one’s health and diseases, such as:
- cardiovascular disease
Having optimal levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants is crucial for bodily processes. Nutritional deficiencies can be a risk factor that can contribute to many degenerative disease conditions.
Here are some that may contribute to nutritional deficiency:
- Biochemical individuality: We are all metabolically and biochemically unique, the micronutrient requirements from individual to individual may vary from one to another.
- Absorption: Although you may eat a balanced diet, you may have not be absorbing all the vitamins, minerals, essential micronutrients effectively, causing deficiencies.
- Chronic Illness: Health conditions such as arthritis, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, fatigue, multiple sclerosis can be directly or indirectly linked to micronutrient deficiencies.
- Aging: Micronutrient requirements at 30 is different from the age of 40 and above. Absorption of micronutrients decreases with age, especially with vitamin B12.
- Lifestyle: Excessive physical activity, prescription drugs, smoking, alcohol, stress and sedentary habits all impact micronutrient demands.
- Prescription drugs: Drugs could negatively affect the nutrient status of the body in numerous ways. Mechanisms of action for nutrient depletion include changes in absorption, biosynthesis, transport, storage, metabolism and excretion.
If you are eating a balanced diet, supplementing on nutrients and still don’t feel optimal, you may be not absorbing optimal levels of nutrients. At KX Yorkville, our Naturopathic Doctor conducts Micronutrient Testing to determine over 30 nutrients and functions. Book a consultation today and learn how nutrient repletion will help you reach your optimal body composition and health. Stop wasting money on guessing which supplements you are deficient in and get tested.